The City of Victoria, located on unceeded Lekwungen Territory, is this year celebrating 150 years of colonialism through events that promote historical erasure. The Victoria Anarchist Bookfair will respond with illuminatingstories of historical and ongoing colonialism while celebrating 150 years ofresistance. As a catalyst for putting learning into action, we are also mobilizing to build opposition against the Northern Gateway Pipeline and other such proposals, which are a glaring example of ongoing colonialism on the West Coast.
1. Bookfair Dates & Contacts
2. How to Request a Table
3. Call for Workshops & Presentations Proposals
4. Festival of Anarchy
5. Volunteers needed!
6. Listserve Subscription Options
****************************** Victoria Anarchist Bookfair Dates & Contacts:
September 8th and 9th, 2012 Fernwood NRG Community Hall 1240 Gladstone Ave, Victoria, BC, Lekwungen Territory.
We are pleased to announce the seventh annual Victoria Anarchist Bookfair,located on unceded Lekwungen Territory in Victoria, British Columbia. The Bookfair is for anarchists and non-anarchists, with participants from all over North America and beyond. The Bookfair always includes workshops on a widerange of topics. We seek to challenge colonial attitudes, introduce anarchismto the public, foster dialogue between various political traditions, and create radical, inclusive, anti-oppressive spaces. Participants with differentvisions, practices, and traditions are welcome. Events include book andinformation tables, workshops, readings, films, presentations, and much more!We are particularly seeking workshops that engage with our theme ofanti-colonialism and the mobilization to stop proposed pipeline projects in B.C.. This can include presentations on radical theory, Indigeneity,historical issues, participatory demonstrations, panel talks, facilitateddiscussions, and everything in between—if you have an idea for a workshop, wewant to hear about it! We’re also keen on workshops that address, challenge,and connect gender, sexuality, ‘race’, colonialism, ability, capitalism, environmental destruction, workers’ struggles, and other issues affecting our communities.Please consult our Statement of Principles before sending your proposal. It can be found on our website: http://victoriaanarchistbookfair.ca This year's deadline is July 15th, 2012. We are proud to have received Monday Magazine's 'M Award' for Victoria's bestliterary event in 2009.
Contacts:TABLES: firstname.lastname@example.org WORKSHOPS: email@example.com FESTIVAL: firstname.lastname@example.org VOLUNTEER: email@example.com GENERAL INQUIRIES: firstname.lastname@example.org
2. How to Request a Table for Sept 8 & 9The heart of the Bookfair is the main room including booksellers, distributors,independent presses and activist groups from all over BC, North America, andabroad. If you’d like to table this year, please provide a short descriptionof your group and the materials you intend to distribute at the Bookfair. There is no fee for tabling at the Bookfair, but we will be requesting 10% of sales after expenses in order to help us cover the costs of the venue rental.The deadline to request a table is July 15, 2012 (we cannot guarantee inclusion on the poster or in our program-zine for late submissions).
EMAIL: email@example.com. Workshop & Presentation Proposals: for Sept 8 & 9 The Bookfair organizing collective is currently seeking workshop and presentation proposals. As stated above this Bookfair we are looking to convene in order to challenge the ongoing colonization of our communities and our minds. We are looking for workshops that discuss Indigenous perspectives, de-colonialisation, socialstruggles, and environmental issues. We also aim to foster a growing movementin resistance to colonialism through the sharing of practical skills. Together we can acknowledge our past and move forward with meaningful solidarity.Workshops may be aimed at people who are curious about, or new to, anarchist ideas and radical practices; alternatively they might address a topic in depth for people who are already familiar with the subject.Standard Bookfair workshops last for 50 minutes with a 10-minute break inbetween. While we are open to a variety of workshop formats, we recommend that facilitators leave at least 20 minutes for discussion at the end of their presentations. Each year we get a lot of submissions, but if we don’t have space at the Bookfair, we still want to help make your workshop happen! Please provide a title and short description of the workshop's content in your submission. If your workshop is accepted, this information will be reprinted inthe program zine. NOTE: The deadline for all workshop and presentation proposals is July 15, 2012(after that date we cannot guarantee a timeslot at the Bookfair or inclusion inour program-zine for late submissions).EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org******************************
4. Festival of Anarchy Events: Sept 1– 7 (various locations TBA) In addition to the Bookfair, a "Festival of Anarchy" will take place during the preceding week with diverse anarchist-themed events occurring at differentvenues in Victoria. You can propose any type of event or activity: the only limit is your imagination. Also this year the Urban Interventionists are looking to coordinate artists to intervene in spaces around the city. Installations, flash mobs, bike races, dance parties, punk shows under bridges, guerilla art, graffiti, performances… and beyond. Festival of Anarchy events as well as the Urban Interventionists are organized autonomously from the Bookfair and, as such, venues are the responsibility of Event Organizers—that’s you! The Bookfair Collective acts as a hub to promote and coordinate these events. We’re committed to helping promote autonomous festival events to the best of our ability through the program zineand the website. If you’re interested in having us promote your event, please provide a title and short description of your program by July 15, 2012 so that we can includeit in our zine and on our website.We strongly recommend Festival Events are NOT scheduled during the Bookfairs operating hours. In general, contacting the Bookfair Collective aboutscheduling dates before our proposal deadline is a useful way to ensure theleast number of event conflicts.EMAIL: email@example.com. Volunteers We need your help! The Victoria Anarchist Bookfair & Festival of Anarchy Collectives are always looking for new people to assist behind the scenes. We’re looking for help in all kinds of areas such as postering, welcoming &information tabling, room set-up, kids activities, counselling and safe-spacesupport, cleanup and more. The Bookfair is entirely volunteer-run and helpingout is a great way to get involved and meet new people. If you’re interested,please read the volunteer descriptions, our collective principles andaccessibility statements on our website, and let us know how you’d like tohelp out!EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org 6. Listserve Subscription Options We do not send very many messages for most of the year, except as the bookfairdates draw near, but if you no longer want to receive notices, please feel freeto unsubscribe from this listerve by sending an email email@example.com. If you have friends who youshould hear about what’s coming up, they can subscribe to this list bysending a message to firstname.lastname@example.org
Trackbacks & Pingbacks
No incoming links found yet.