The last few days have been unusually hot, and with constantly rising temperatures do to global warming, it is useful to know how to make a good vegan ice-cream cake to help deal with the heat. Last night I made this exceptional vegan ice-cream cake, I had been wanting to make one for a while ever since an ex of mine brought one to a potluck a few yrs back. Here is how I did it.
1) The first layer was made with vegan store bought iceream, I used butterscotch ripple, I started by melting it, then adding dark chocolate chips. II found the cheap way to get good dark chocolate chips is to find a store that has them in bulk, and surprisingly often the dark or “pure” ones in the bulk section are accidentally vegan.The trick to making them cheap is to ‘accidentally‘ mark them down as the bin number for the shitty cheap milk chocolate chips that are usually about half the price. This way even someone on a fixed income can afford decent chocolate.
2) the second layer was made by putting Oreo cookies through the food processor to create crumbs. I normally would never buy such shit, but they are excellent in decedent baking. oreos are also one of those things that are ‘accidentally vegan,’ probably cause they don’t use any real ingredients at all… 😦 Still I used them cause they are tasty and add good texture. But don’t worry, if you don’t want to give money to shitty capitalists, just steal them. That’s why God invented shoplifting.
after this, you need to put it in the freezer until the first layers become solid.
3) This is where it gets interesting, I made the next layer by using frozen bananas, mixed with frozen raspberries, and a scoop of organic cane sugar, put through a food processor to make a variation of easy banana icecream. I get my raspberries in bulk to save money, and the bananas are easy to dumpsterdive or you can often find them cheap at small grocery stores that have discount racks. I added a scoop of vanilla flavored Vegan protein powder, I love this stuff as it is an easy way to get good nutrition, add it to baking, or cereal, or smoothies and it adds a ton of protein. It is quite expensive, but worth while. I got lucky as a friend dumpsterdived it and gave it to me.
I followed that with another layer of oreo crumbs. And then again stick it back in the freezer
4) The next layer was the best, I again used smooshed bananas, but this time mixed it with canned pinapple! YUMMY put the two in the food proccessor and added a bit of almond milk. Again you need to refreeze it after this layer before continuing.
5) The final layer was again using vegan store bought icecream, this time I used chocolate mixed with butterscotch.
6) I decided to get decedent, so I topped it off by throwing some nuts in the food processor, I used pecans and cashews, but most anything would do. However if you are gonna share it with friends or bring it to a potluck remember that tons of people are allergic to peanuts. I covered the topping with crushed nuts then sliced up some strawberries to decorate it, and froze it one last time.
This recipe took a bit of work, but none of it was difficult, and it made a lot. it was sooo worth it. Like instead of buying an overpriced cow puss ice-cream cake from Dairy Queen, I made my own, DIY Dairy Queer Vegan version!